Follow Rachel Barnard

Friday, August 9, 2013

Foodie Fridays: Buffalo Chili


I don't know if you can tell from the photo but that is genuine buffalo in that there chili. But buffalo is expensive unless it's your own supply! Let me stop you right there. If you cook in a certain way, many foods are not out of your financial reach. Yes the buffalo was $9/lb but I only used one pound and all in all my chili yield was approximately 7 servings. I cut the chili with vegetables. But Rachel, vegetables are expensive! Only if you buy pre-prepared ones or out of season ones (artichokes anyone?). This chili involves zuchini, green peppers, yellow peppers, and onions. None of these are expensive. Colored peppers can run you at $1.25 each but if you pick a big one it is worth it for the taste and color. Green peppers can be as low as 3/$1 generally. Onions are cheap, as are zuchini. The most expensive part of this meal was probably the chili, as I bought the herb from my local market. Add brown rice and voile: a cost effective, delicious, and healthy meal! And it has buffalo, one of the leanest meats out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment! A word a day keeps insanity away.