Follow Rachel Barnard

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Author Thursdays: How many people have you done away with over the course of your career?

I came across this unusual question whilst looking up interesting interview questions for authors. Does it make more sense now? 

Here are some other interesting and traditional questions that I found, as well as my answers:

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

As far back as I can remember I have thought of myself as a writer, even before I really knew how to write decently. As my father always says, I’m continually writing my autobiography and even at ten years old I thought I had a lot to say.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Not using unnecessary words like moment, as well, finally, and so, now, as well as others. These are fluff-padding words and are not normally integral to the intention of the sentence. However, I still find myself using them in the flow of my inspired writing.

If there was an article about you on the front page of the newspaper, what would be the headline?

Local Author Finds Gold on a Geocaching Adventure

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

There is usually a message in my novels that may or may not be completely clear or stated directly. In my latest work, I put a lot of stress on the randomness of bad luck and that how you respond to it really shows who you are. You are more than just a product of your environment, because your decisions influence your future.

What book are you reading now?

I’m usually ‘reading’ two books at once because I like to have an audio book for my lengthy traffic-riddled Seattle drives and a physical book for pleasure reading. Currently, I’m in the middle of my book club’s book, “Diary of a Manhattan Call Girl” by Tracy Quan. I am listening to "The Merry Wives of Maggody" by Joan Hess.

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be?

Princess Cimorene from the “Enchanted Forest Chronicles” by Patricia Wrede. I always loved the tomboy-younger-sister-turned-heroine character in fantasy novels. Lately I’ve gotten into the girl-must-triumph-in-the-face-of-adversity-usually-resulting-from-a-dystopian-future characters as well.

Where do you get your ideas for your books?

Sometimes in my dreams or from conversational ramblings with friends, family, or coworkers. For example, "Ataxia and the Ravine of Lost Dreams" developed out of my dreams one night, which were likely influenced by the great “Ender’s Game” by Orson Scott Card.

Are the names of the characters in your novels important?

The names are highly important, at least to me. They are one of the most fun elements to play with and mold in a clever manner. For example, in Ataxia my main character was named “main character” for a long time in my mind just because I wanted to name her something that would live up to her personality but could never quite decide on a name I thought was good enough for her. After writing for months I grew fond of “MC” and decided that forever in my mind she would be the main character but I would give her a name based on those initials. You might notice a pattern with the love interest.

What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer?

Keeping your notes in a safe and organized place so you can readily add or edit them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment! A word a day keeps insanity away.