Follow Rachel Barnard

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Author Thursdays: Steven King Says So

Adverbs
Just wanted to let you know I finished the first draft of my newest manuscript. It is the roughest first draft I have ever written. That is to say much editing and revising is needed (see <- passive voice no no). After listening to Steven King's audio book On Writing I realize I probably use too many adverbs. Whilst reading over my manuscript, I have also noticed the repeated use of many words and phrases. These are:
at the moment
as well
a moment
finally
first
and so
now
not to mention
sudden (ly)
still

So after my read over I will Control+Find all these bad boys and make sure they are all necessary or kill them. Also, I need to make sure I use the correct version of the following:

further v farther
leaped v leapt
toward v towards
Any other no-no words I should be looking out for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment! A word a day keeps insanity away.