Follow Rachel Barnard

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Toiling Tuesdays: Would you lie to get the job that isn't your dream job?

Toiling Tuesdays: Would you lie to get the job that isn't your dream job?

I walk up and open the door. I hold it open for two ladies to exit and for one man to enter. Then I gather myself and walk in briskly. I want to make a good first impression, that I'm upbeat and ready for anything. I put on a smile and walk in to the dining area proudly, peeking around the corner to find someone who works there. It is almost 4PM and the dining area is deserted. A lady comes around the corner, "Can I help you?" She asks. "As a matter of fact, I saw that you were hiring a server and I wanted to apply." I answer professionally and cheerfully, as if I have no where better to be but at this particular establishment  "Here is the lady you must speak to then." The first lady beckons over to another lady. The second lady wastes no time, "Do you have experience with breakfast?" She scrutinizes me. I wish I had not just thrown a nice sweater over my black Beatles t-shirt. I feel that she can tell I cheated on my dress that day. "Well." I pause. Crap. That was the moment to reassure her that I lived for breakfast. That I knew all about eggs and toast. But that's not quite true. I never worked in a true breakfast environment. And if I was going to embellish or straight out lie about my prior experience I had already botched it with that pause. "I worked at a gracious retirement living center working many of the morning shifts, which were breakfast. I have also worked over three years in the food service industry." I say swiftly. I have lost her. I can tell she has already said no in her mind. "This position requires experienced breakfast. We are very busy and we don't have time to train. I'm sorry but we're looking for someone with experience." She basically shoos me out the door without even a chance to boast about how I can handle most anything, learn quick and fast, and am entirely up for the challenge. She is a no-nonsense gal and if only I had lied about my previous working experience I might have gotten the job but did I really want that job?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment! A word a day keeps insanity away.